l-Masjid Al-Aqsa is often confused with Masjid Al-Qubba (As-Sakhra) but they are two totally different Masjids. Al-Masjid Al-Aqsa is the one that Allah (SWT) refers to in the first verses of Surat Al-Israa (Sura 17):
Al-Masjid Al-Aqsa is the second Masjid ever to be built for the sole worship of Allah (SWT). Throughout the ages it suffered many transformations and destruction. When Omar Ibn Al- Khattab (RA) entered Bayt Al-Maqdis in 15 AH (636 AD) he ordered that the area, where he believed the Masjid location has been, to be cleared to start the building of the initial structure of the Masjid. The actual building started in 18 AH (639 AD) and the Masjid was made out of timber. Abd Al-Malik Ibn Marwan (RahA) began the construction of Al-Masjid Al-Aqsa in its new shape and structure but it was his son Al-Walid (RahA) who completed it in 90 AH (708 AD). The present structure has remained essentially intact since it was last reconstructed in 424 AH (1033 AD) by Al-Khalifa Ath-Thaahir who did not alter it from its previous architecture; he only narrowed it on each of its east and west sides.